I love sugar cookies, they are perfect for any event! This recipe is perfect! It is soft, chewy and the perfect thickness! These are the best Sugar cookies every!
One problem that many of us have come across when making Sugar cookies is the texture. My previous recipe had made tasty yet hard cookies. I wanted to develop a chewy, bendy and soft sugar cookie that will be forever chewy!
And as with any classic, simple cookie, it can’t hide behind frosting or anything, so it really needs to be just right. Soft and chewy for days, my friends. I don’t want some cookie that’s great for a day or so and then you have to toss them. No, these will call to you from the kitchen counter until they’re all eaten – and it could be 4 or 5 days later (if they last that long).
How to make these cookies?
These cookies are so easy and I was so surprised to see them come together so fast!
- mix half melted butter with granulated sugar
- add egg yolks and vanilla
- in a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda and baking powder
- add them to the wet ingredients and mix well
- add in some sprinkles (optional)
- and bake at 350F or 180C for about 10-13 minutes
- cool and enjoy!
What makes a chewy cookie?
There are many components in these cookies and almost every ingredient aids in making a perfectly chewy cookie!
- 2 egg yolks, an egg white has no fat and does not aid in making a cookie chewy. Two egg yolks will keep these cookies moist for days!
- The sugar and butter white sugar aids in some spreading which is an important component in a chewy cookie!
- The flour: the flour holds the shape of the cookie for the perfect cookie
- The melted butter using partially melted butter insures that you dont make cookies that are hard and cakey
These cookies are no chill!! I Think they look best a little bit flatter than domed. However, if you want a domed, thick cookie consider chilling them for 30 minutes. This recipe is ready in under 30 minutes however if you want to chill them it will take an hour in full.
These cookies are beautiful, with pretty cracks, chewy texture and amazing flavor! You will love these and they come together in under thirty minutes! What holding you back? Go on, make ’em!
The best chewy sugar cookies!
- 1 1/8 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt optional but recommended
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 egg yolks see note on what to do with egg white
- sprinkles optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F or 180°C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat.
- Begin by combining your flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder in a small bowl. Sift them and whisk them well.
- Then in a medium sizes bowl combine your partially melted butter, sugar, and vanilla. Add in the egg yolk
- Combine the dry ingredients into the wets. Mix only until you see no more flour. It is optional to add sprinkles, I chose to add in a bit.
- Scoop onto your lined baking pan into about 1.5 tablespoon scoops. Baking in your preheated oven for 10-13 minutes or until the edges are firm yet the cookie is soft (not too soft of course)
- Cool and enjoy