This cake will trick everyone with its basic appearance but nothing can beat the interior surprise, a soft and moist song cake and light (not too sweet) whipped cream, and cool down strawberries with pang of lemon this recipe tastes, looks and feels amazing!
What is a Vertical Cake?
Our eyes are used to seeing horizontal layer cakes, so when you first cut into a vertical layer cake, you’re instantly impressed. They’re ALWAYS a crowdpleaser! But what are they and how can we make one?
Vertical cake is just that: a cake with vertical layers. Instead of stacked layers like traditional layer cakes, vertical cakes are actually made with a cake spiral. When you cut into the cake, that spiral displays as vertical layers. You assemble the cake spiral with a sponge sheet cake. Roll the sponge cake into a cake roll when it comes out of the oven. Once cool, unroll it, cut it into 3 long strips, then top each with whipped cream. Roll the strips up, connecting the end of the first rolled strip with the next. Turn the cake upright and decorate with frosting as you would any other layer cake.
I have developed a sturdy, tasty and moist sponge cake that will taste great in any form. So…
How do I make this?
- whipping the 4 eggs for 5 minutes until they are relatively thick will give us a a light sponge that holds well and tastes great.
- The old prevents oiliness and is added with the sugar and flavorings (vanilla and lemon)
- the dry ingredients are very straight forward, just basic flour, salt and baking powder which will all hold the cakes shape, provide lift, and cut the sweetness. then finally add your zest.
That is all that is needed to make a sturdy, tasty and moist cake!
Now before we get further into detail, lets watch the video as it can really aid in understanding.
Roll the Cake Up
Only 5 minutes cool time! When it comes out of the oven, immediately invert the warm cake onto parchment paper or a thin kitchen towel dusted with confectioners’ sugar. Gently roll the cake up with the parchment/towel. Let it cool in the rolled up shape so when it’s time to roll it up with the whipped cream filling, it’s already stabilized with the rolled up shape.
Strawberry Swirl Whipped Cream Filling
Thestrawberry swirl whipped cream combines homemade lemon strawberry sauce and whipped cream. If desired, feel free to use your favorite fruit (or any flavor) jam to replace the homemade lemon strawberry sauce. The sauce must completely cool before you mix it into the whipped cream, so I recommend making it ahead of time or as the cake cools. You need strawberries, lemon juice, cornstarch. Cook it on the stove, cool it completely, then fold into lightly sweetened whipped cream or add it in later (like I did for the video) For the whipped cream, you need heavy cream and a touch of confectioners’ sugar and a bit of granulated sugar for stability. Do not over whip or it will curdle.
How to assemble the Cake
Please watch the video for a visual of these steps:
- After cooling the cake roll unravel it and cut it into about 3.5 in strips.
- Spread your whipped cream onto the pieces and top with your strawberry sauce.
- roll each strip and connect to the other until is is a roll.
- Let the cake/roll stand up straight and chill it
- After chilling, decorate the cake and then let it chill for 1-3 more hours.
- The cake stores well for up to a week, the whipped cream will wilt within 1-3 days.
How big is this cake?
This cake is convenient for a small family or a family (like mine) that doesn’t eat much. It is 6 inches in diameter and 5 inches in height. This is great for a small party. Make the recipe twice for a larger cake and continue to connect strips (about 6)
This cake will surprise us all, with its normal appearance and the great big surprise inside. What’s holding you back? I know you want some!
PS. This recipe is great because of how light yet tasty it is. The frosting (unlike American buttercream) is not heavy and overly sweet. It is light and slightly sweet with a tasty flavor. The zesty sponge cake is very good! I hope you like it!
Strawberry Lemon Vertical cake
For the cake:
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the Strawberry Sauce:
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
For the Whipped cream:
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- Prep: Preheat your oven to 350°F or 180°C. Grease and line a 12×17 in baking sheet. Squeeze your lemon.
- Cake: Begin by beating your 4 eggs on high speed for 5 minutes until they are thick. Add in your oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla and sugar.Beat on low. In a seperate bowl, combine flour, salt and baking powder. Sift in the dry ingredients into the wets and mix just until combined. Please do not overbeat. Spread onto your baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes until slightly bubbly and baked well, yet moist.
- Prep your decor: Once you take out your cake let it sit for 5 minutes. After that, roll it and let it fully cool. While it cools: In a sauce pan combine 1 cup of strawberries with 3 tbsp of lemon juice. Heat on medium heat until it becomes a sauce. Let the sauce cool. In a seperate bowl, combine sugars, heavy cream and corn starch. Whip on low-high spead until stiff peaks form.
- Decorate: Unroll your cake and cut it into equal strips (about 3.5 inches). Spread whipped cream and top with sauce. Then, roll your srtips and combine (as shown in the video above). Chill, then decorate as desired. After decorating, chill for 1-3 more hours.
- Enjoy! Stays fresh for 1-5 days. Frosting wilts after 1-3 days.