This breakfast dip is easy to make, delicious, and super healthy. Not only is it filled with fiber and protein but it also requires only 5 ingredients and takes less than 10 minutes to make! I absolutely love this Palestinian breakfast dip!
What is hummus?
Hummus is basically a delicious breakfast dip. It tastes great with pita bread, kebabs, chicken, salads, and even chips. I love this dip is falafel wraps! This dip is so delicious. Hummus is made from chickpea, tahini and natural spices/ flavors such as lemon.
The Perfect Recipe:
Here are some important parts of the hummus:
- Chickpea: This is the base (and is super delicious, healthy and flavorful)
- Tahini: This adds a wonderful zesty flavor and a little spice
- Fresh lemon juice: please do not use the fake store bought lemon juice. If You juice the lemon juice yourself you will end up with a a better flavor and the right consistency.
- Garlic: for flavor
- Salt and paprika: original hummus has a tasty paprika sprinkling on top. Salt is important for flavor and spice.
- Olive oil: DO NOT skip this!! Try to use extra virgin olive oil or a very flavorful one. We have our oil imported from Palestine, it is super flavorful and delicious.
An Original Recipe
This recipe is an original Palestinian family recipe and super easy to make. here are some tips to help you succeed in making the perfect hummus:
- Use soft chickpea. I like to use canned chickpea (make sure you wash the,) however you could make it completely from scratch (it just takes 15 more minutes). To make them from scratch boil the water with chickpea and baking soda. See notes for more details.
- Use FRESH lemon juice. I can’t stress this enough, you won’t get the same flavor using store bought juice.
- Use cold water. This is super important. Using cold water water the hummus will make it fluffy, light and so luxurious!
You ready to try this tasty recipe? Give a go:
The Best Original Palestinian Hummus
- Strong Blender or food processor
- 1 can Chickpea See note
- 1/2 cup Tahini
- 1/4 cup Fresh lemon juice add extra as needed
- 1 and 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 clove garlic large clove
- olive oil to taste
- 2-6 tbsp cold water
- Wash your chickpeas. Juice your lemon, prep your garlic, spices, olive oil and tahini.
- In a blender (or food processor) combine all of your ingredients (except for the water) and blend until chunky. Begin by adding 2 tablspoons of the water and blend for a minutes, make sure that the hummus is smooth and fluffy but still thick. If you want add a bit more water until the desired consisitency.
- Add to a plate and smooth out with a wet spoon. Top with parsely, parika and a generous drizzle of olive oil. Enjoy!