This baked macaroni dish is the perfect comfort food. Penne or rigatoni is bathed in silky bechamel sauce and layered with spiced meat and tomato sauce, then topped with a thick layer of more creamy bechamel sauce. It’s then baked to bubbly and crusty perfection.
What is Pastitsio?
Pastitsio is a delicious pasta that is smothered in béchamel sauce with ground beef and a delicious Italian spice. This recipe is less of the fancy layered look and more of a comfort food. However, if you want a classic Pastitsio you should layer them.
This is one of my January favorites! It is so delicious and easy. It takes hardly 60 minutes and is so delicious. You will have your family asking for this again and again. People ( chiefly kids) will love the creamy béchamel and the tasty ground beef with those delicious macaroni!
If you are looking for a classic Pastitsio simply adapt this recipe to fit the circumstances. In my recipe I simply mix everything together. However if you want it to be the classic layer it.
PS. I have a new carrot cake recipe coming this weekend! (1/28/21) Stay Tuned!
Macaroni and Bechamel (Pastitsio)
- Blender (optional)
- 1 and 1/2 cups group beef
- olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 pound of penne pasta
- 3 cups whole milk
- 5 tbsp of flour
- 3 tbsp butter
- Aged English Cheese
- Gouda Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 420°F or 215°C
- In a large pot boil your pasta in salt water until it is soft. Drain and rinse
- Dice your onions and mince your garlic. Saute them until they are lightly browned and fragrent. Add in your ground beef and saute until cooked through. Add in your tomato paste and set aside.
- Combine the penne in a 15 by 8 pan.
- In a pan melt your butter and stir in your flour until it forms a sticky lump. Transfer it to a blender and blend it with your milk. Move it back to your pot. Bring it to a boil and add in your cheeses. Stir until it forms a thick creamy bechamel sauce (the consistency of soft whipped cream).
- Add the bechamel to your your pasta and meat. Bake for 30-45 minutes or until the top has some brown "splotches"